Friday, November 12, 2010

Rice Packs

I have way to much unfinished projects to do... I finally have few days break from school some I am siezing the moment and crafting my heart out!


Making rice packs have been the easiest sewing project I have done so far. These handy thing's are pretty amazing. I mixed in some peppermint and lavender in with rice not only becuase the rice smells funny but also because the herbal properties are fabulous for various things. 
(Uncooked rice)
 It's recommended that you mix in the herbs (you can also use essential oils) with the rice and store in an air tight contaier for a few days mixing occasionally to allow the herbs to soak in and blend with the rice.  I cut out a pice of fabric and sewed it to make a bag and then I filled with with the rice leaving enough space for the rice to spread and also of course to sew the bag closed.


They can be stored in the freezer if ever you need a cold pack and also to preserve them. I don't use them cold as often as I do warm. But at least they are there in freezer ready whenever a bruise, sting or inflamation needs a little cool touch. To use warm:  throw them in the microwave for approx a minute or more depending on how warm you think you need it.

Why a rice pack?
Put this baby to use on sore muscles and joints. Is baby struggling to sleep? just place the pack in the bed near them if you warm it up it helps bring out the lavender calming scent and also makes the baby feel like thier not all alone. The peppermint is known to help colic babies. I perosnally love to use a warm rice pack when suffering from a cold. I just heat the puppy up and place on my chest and then in no time I'm on my way to dream land. The lavender not only helps with headaches but also is a calming effect for coughs and peppermint is a fabulous herb to inhale during cold and flu season. Not only does drinking the tea help calm the stomach but it's also known for its antibacterial properties and fighting infections. Lavender is also good for burns, stings and bruises and a little cold rice pack is perfect for those sort of irritating sking irritants.

No comments:

Post a Comment